6spd manual issue

Moderators: Ivy03TJ, loserkid418, grampa, rayzdjp1

Flywheel

6spd manual issue

Post by Flywheel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:04 pm

Hey guys, I need a good shop to fix my 6speed manual tranny on my 07 JKU Rubi. It keeps popping out of 1st gear and is driving me crazy. Any help would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George S

Re: 6spd manual issue

Post by George S » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:15 pm

My transmission occasionally pops out as well, scares the crap out of me, sounds and feels like the trans blew up with a loud bang. I think I can feel sometimes it doesn't seem to engage fully into 1st gear. Almost like there's a "bad spot" between the synchronizer and the gearing that it sometimes tries to mesh into... Anyway, it's common enough to have its own Service Bulletin:

https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/TSB/21-001-10A.pdf

Since there is a bulletin on this problem, I'd probably take it to a dealer. Jim Cogdill in Knoxville has been good to me so far. Good luck!

W0J0

Post by W0J0 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:11 pm

I was reading on other forums and this is a well known issue with no recall. That means that if you have a warranty, it'll be covered but otherwise it's up to you too fork over the grand or so to have your 1-2 synchros replaced.
May be worth checking to make sure that the shifter boot isn't interfering with the engagement of first gear.
The process of rebuilding a manual tranny is pretty straight forward, provided you have access to the appropriate tools. The pain is in the removal and reinstallation of the transmission into the jeep.

Sent from my mobile look-at device

mule

Post by mule » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:31 am

I have used Marshalls Transmision on Washington Ave in Knoxville. Quality work, decent price.

Another thought, might want to price out a trany rebuild compared to purchase used trany?

(I have no idea of either costs, so this might not be a real option.)

Flywheel

Post by Flywheel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks for the info. I've seen the tsb and even jokingly gave my local jeep dealer a hard time about there not being a recall. I'm just at my wits end with it. I'll try and take a look at the boot issue before I drop the cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk